Pharmacy College Admission Test
The Pharmacy College Admission Test, which is administered by Harcourt Assessment, Inc, is the standardized test used by pharmacy schools. The PCAT is a four hour test which contains 240 multiple choice questions and two essays. Around 70 percent of Pharm.D. programs in the United States require applicants to take the PCAT.
There are 7 different subject exams:
Problem Solving (Writing)
Conventions of Language (Writing)
Here is a PCAT Sample Test.
Test Taking Strategies*Learn how to manage your time in each section. Some sections will require practice going through efficiently such as the Quantitative section.
* Be prepared! Start studying early and relate topics discussed in your pre-requisite classes with your studying for the PCAT.
* Be ready physically and mentally. Dress comfortably (in a way where you can adjust for any testing climate – a thin sweater works well as you can take it off if it gets hot and leave it on if it’s cold), get enough sleep the night before, and eat breakfast.
* Arrive at your test center early.
* Don't make grammar or spelling mistakes on the writing section. Use concise, structured paragraphs to write your essay.
* Answer all of the questions because there is no penalty is given for guesses. Eliminate as many choices as possible before answering questions.
* Do not spend too much time on one question as all questions are weighted the same (unlike some standardized tests). For the multiple choice sections, answer the questions that you are most comfortable with first and reserve time for more difficult questions after you have answered all the questions that you were confident with.
Top PCAT Products
Full Anatomy Review Course Speed Studying Course
The following table lists the schools that do not require the PCAT.The TOEFL or TSE requirement only applies to students who do not speak English as their first language.
These scores are usually sent directly to PharmCAS. If your school does not use PharmCAS, you would need to send scores directly to them.
Pharmacy Schools that do not require the PCAT exam will weigh other aspects of your application, such as GPA, interview performance, and extracurricular activities, more heavily.
|INSTITUTION NAME||PCAT||TOEFL - TSE|
|Albany College of Pharmacy – Albany, NY||Yes||Yes|
|Albany College of Pharmacy – Colchester, VT||Yes||No|
|Appalachia, University of||Yes||Yes|
|Buffalo, University of||Yes||Yes|
|California - San Diego||No||No|
|California - San Francisco||No||No|
|Charleston, University of||Yes||Yes|
|Chicago State University||Yes||No|
|Cincinnati, University of||Yes||Yes|
|Colorado, University of||Yes||Yes|
|East Tennessee State University||Yes||No|
|Florida, University of||Yes||Yes|
|Harding, University of||Yes||No|
|Hawaii-Hilo, University of||Yes||No|
|Illinois, University at Chicago||Yes||Yes|
|Incarnate Word, University of the||Yes||Yes|
|Iowa, University of||Yes||No|
|Kentucky, University of||Yes||Yes|
|LECOM Bradenton School of Pharmacy||Yes||Yes|
|LECOM Erie School of Pharmacy||Yes||Yes|
|Long Island University||Yes||Yes|
|Louisiana at Monroe, University of||Yes||No|
|Maryland, University of||Yes||Yes|
|Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences - Boston MA||No||Yes|
|Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences - Manchester NH||No||Yes|
|Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences - Worcester MA||No||Yes|
|Michigan, University of||Yes||Yes|
|Midwestern University - Downers Grove||Yes||No|
|Midwestern University - Glendale||Yes||No|
|Minnesota, University of||Yes||Yes|
|Northeastern Ohio Universities - College of Pharmacy NEOUCOP||Yes||No|
|New England, University of||Yes||Yes|
|New Mexico, University of||Yes||No|
|North Carolina at Chapel Hill||Yes||Yes|
|Notre Dame of Maryland, College of||Yes||No|
|Nova Southeastern University||Yes||Yes|
|Ohio State University||Yes||Yes|
|Oklahoma, University of||Yes||Yes|
|Oregon State University||No||No|
|Pacific, University of the||No||Yes|
|Palm Beach Atlantic University||Yes||Yes|
|Pittsburgh, University of||Yes||No|
|Southern California, University of||No||No|
|St. John Fisher College||Yes||Yes|
|St. Louis College of Pharmacy||Yes||Yes|
|Tennessee, University of||Yes||No|
|Thomas Jefferson University||Yes||No|
|Touro College - New York||Yes||Yes|
|Touro University - California||No||No|
|Utah, University of||Yes||Yes|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||Yes||Yes|
|Washington, University of||Yes||No|
|Washington State University||No||No|
|Wayne State University||Yes||Yes|
|West Virginia University||Yes||No|
|Wyoming, University of||Yes||Yes|